At High Ongar Primary School, we actively promote British Values.
We recognise the diversity within our society and ensure that British Values are embedded within our curriculum. The teaching of British Values is integrated through the Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) learning that takes place across all the curriculum areas.
Below is a summary of all we do to promote British Values:
- We enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem & self- confidence.
- Topic based curriculum to contextualise knowledge
- Growth mindset embedded across the school
We enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England:
- High expectations of all children and staff across the school
- Positive-focused behaviour management
We encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely:
- Community events at the local church and Mulberry House
We enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England:
- Class visits to the Library, Post Office and churches in Ongar
- Visits from Emergency service in classes and during assemblies
We encourage further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures:
- Celebration days (VE day) including themed school dinners
- One-off lessons to share topical themes
We encourage respect for other people:
- School values
- Whole school and key stage assemblies
We encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England:
- School Council election
- House Captain election