About High Ongar Primary School
We are a small primary school set in the heart of a village community. Our beautiful, grade II listed, Victorian building dates back to 1867 and it has been maintained to a high standard in keeping with the surroundings which have been designated as a conservation area.
The school was extended in the 1970's to cater for a growing number of pupils in the surrounding area of High Ongar and beyond. In 2009 we finished refurbishing our office area and completed the building project with the opening of our new teaching space the Little Acorn Room, which was named and officially opened by a Year 6 pupil. We take in pupils from villages near High Ongar and from Ongar itself. The school has been very popular over the last few years and we have grown significantly in numbers.
We have a very caring ethos and a warm and friendly approach and our school is small enough so that we get to know all the children and parents. Your child will be very well cared for in our school and they will receive a good all round education whilst they are with us. We have excellent behavior in the school and the discipline is firm but fair with an emphasis on good manners and respect for others.
The school has an excellent reputation for extra curricular activities and sport and despite our small size we do get involved with lots of activities within our local community. We are able to do this because of the commitment and dedication of all the staff at High Ongar and the support from our parents. We have a well informed Governing Body that guide our work at the school and a very active Friends committee that organise events for our school community and fund raise too.
Our website is very comprehensive and we hope that you find it informative. I am always happy to show prospective parents around the school at any time and you can then see the school in action. Please telephone the school office to arrange an appointment.
Thank you for taking the time to look at our website. If you are a prospective parent and you would like further information please contact the school.
Epping Forest School-Led Improvement Partnership
High Ongar Primary School is part of the Epping Forest School-Led Improvement Partnership.
Did you know
- Ongar and the surrounding areas are of significant historical importance.
- The famous philosopher John Locke who wrote the seminal 'Essay on Human Understanding' the essentials of which are incorporated in the Constitution of the United States of America is buried just up the road in High Laver.
- Rev. William Webb-Ellis, one time rector of St. Mary's Church, Magdalen Laver laid down the rules of Rugby Union.
- Anne and Jayne Taylor who wrote Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star were daughters of the Minister of the Congregational Church in Ongar.
- David Livingstone, the famous missionary and explorer in Africa lived in Ongar High Street.
- Noel Gay the composer of 'Doing the Lambeth Walk' amongst other popular musicals is buried in St. Margaret's Church, Stanford Rivers.